A list of favorite meals around San Diego. (In no particular order)
1. Pasta Pronto - The Linguini with Pesto at this Del Mar restaurant is the closest to the pesto dishes I ate in Italy. The first time I had pesto was in Genoa, where it originated, and I love when I can eat somewhere that reminds me of it.
2. T.G.I. Fridays - Pepper-Crusted Pork Chop with Mashed Potatoes and Onion Rings. I don't care for T.G.I.F. that much, but this pork chop is amazing. It is perfectly seasoned.
3. Royal India - Butter Tarka (butter, green onions, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and spices) with Chicken. A royal curry served with white rice and Nan bread. If I wanted to drive downtown more often, I would get this at least once a week.
4. Juanita's Taco Shop - The best place to get Flautas, the crispy flour rolled tacos with shredded beef. I love these things with the salsa fresca. Very cheap too. Great with a Horchata to drink.
5. Wendy's - The best fast food burger is Wendy's Bacon and Blue. It is limited time only, but I hope they keep this bleu cheese burger longer. It reminds me of the burgers we cook on the 4th of July every year. I have them hold the sauteed onions though.
6. Borelli's - I have been ordering the Meat Lasagna with Meat Sauce since I was a little kid. My favorite, no other lasagna compares with Borelli's masterpiece. I love their simple garlic bread too.
7. Vigilucci's Trattoria - Their Filet Mignon with Gorgonzola on top is the best steak I have ever eaten. I have ordered it many times and it is always so tender and flavorful. It is one of their specials, not listed on the menu.
8. Nikos - The Gyro with Chicken Souvlaki plate is so good, I get it once a week for lunch in Carlsbad. I just order the usual. It comes with my favorite greek salad. Their dressing is better than anywhere else. With the rice and bread, it is a huge meal.
9. California Pizza Kitchen - I love their Chicken Tequila Fettuccine. It is the tequila-lime and jalapeno cream sauce that makes this dish so magical. I always want extra bread to sop every last drop.
10. Outback Steakhouse - Their Victoria's Filet with Blue Cheese may not match Vigilucci's, but it is the best of the rest. Combined with a caesar salad, a baked potato with all the toppings and their honey-wheat bread, I'm in heaven. Sharing a Bloomin' Onion is great too.
11. Noodles & Company - Pesto Cavatappi with Parmesan Crusted Chicken. I love it with the Tomato Basil Bisque, a piece of warm Flatbread and the side Tossed Green Salad. The rich soup is what makes this almost a perfect meal.
12. Little Moore Coffee Shop - Whenever I crave an omelet, I go to this spot in Leucadia. Their omelets always have the perfect mixture of egg, cheese and the different fillings. So many places mess up this important ratio. My favorite is the Chili Cheese Omelet with hash browns and a side of cottage cheese.
13. Wahoo's Fish Taco - Banzai Burrito (carne asada) with red sauce. The tender carne asada is marinated in teriyaki and I love it served wet with the red chili sauce. I like the combo with black beans and the seasoned ahi rice.